Regardless if a work team is permanent or temporary, group cohesion and collaborative decision making are essential for successful outcomes. Measure team performance and identify alignment opportunities in real time using the Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) by Human Synergistics.
The Human Synergistics Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) is the only research-based tool that provides a valid and reliable measure of how people in groups interact with each other and work as a team to solve problems. Extensively researched and internationally proven, the GSI provides group members with a safe way to talk about their behavior and how it affects the group’s performance. The assessment highlights styles of interactions that are helping or hindering their teamwork. Then, it empowers them to change the way they approach problems and interact with each other. This leads to better cooperation, communication and consensus, more innovative thinking, and higher quality solutions.
The Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) is designed for both temporary and permanent groups that are responsible for solving problems and making decisions. It can be completed by team members after they have solved a problem (to identify the behaviors that facilitated or inhibited their performance) or mid-way through solving a problem (to identify and practice more effective ways of interacting with one another and approaching the problem).
The use of the Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) involves three steps:
- Individual group members respond to 72 statements describing the styles exhibited by the group while solving a problem plus a few questions focusing on team effectiveness, solution acceptance, solution quality, and team synergy. This takes about 15 minutes.
- The team members score their own surveys and profile their individual results on the Human Synergistics Circumplex to provide a picture of their own perceptions of the group and its styles. This takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- The descriptions of members are combined to generate an aggregated profile displaying the group’s styles and a bar chart summarizing their collective assessments of performance.
The Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) can be experienced online, in real-time, in a variety of settings, and even with virtual teams. The key to creating a more effective work environment for remote organizations is to assess and develop virtual teams, as well as determining how they interact. The ability to measure GSI results in real time allows organization to “see” improvement and development opportunities more quickly than with other culture-level initiatives. This makes team development more dynamic and is ideal for serving as a starting point for change agents.
The Group Styles Inventory™ (GSI) is an excellent tool for helping teams and groups solve problems more effectively. It is particularly valuable for team development initiatives, such as:
- Measuring and monitoring team performance
- Creating a team environment that encourages innovation and idea-sharing
- Sharpening team members’ analytical skills
- Developing consensus-based decision making
- Achieving synergy and higher quality and acceptance of group decisions